Cataract surgery is done to remove the natural lens in the eye by separating cataract from the lens capsule. Cataract is the cloudy part inside the eye and the lining around it is called lens capsule. Due to certain metabolic changes, cataract is formed inside causing loss of transparency in the eye. This leads to serious eye sight problems and development of glare. There are different types of cataracts: subcapsural cataract that forms at the back of the lens, nuclear cataract which is seen in the centre and cortical cataract formed around the lens.
Cataract removal surgery is a common eye surgery and is a safe procedure performed by eye doctor under local anesthesia. It is done for about an hour or a little more. There are different cataract surgeries performed by ophthalmologists:
Phacoemulsification surgery which is a common cataract surgery and is also called small incisions category where small cuts are made
Standard extra capsular cataract extraction or Standard ECCE where 8mm to 10mm cut is made to the eye and another cut is made to the lens.
In cataract removal surgery, the lens is removed and is often replaced with intraocular lens (IOL) made of clear plastic.
Cataract laser surgery is also getting popular where surgeon uses laser to make an opening in the eye and removing cataract.
Eye for details
The first extracapsular cataract extraction was done in 1747 by French ophthalmologist Jacques Daviel
Certain historic evidences and documentation suggest that Egyptians knew about the procedure way back in 5th century
The word cataract has its root in Latin word cataracta which means waterfall
The lens inside the eye is generally clear. It is made up of water and protein. It focuses light on retina and adjusts eye focus which helps us see things from a distance and from very near too. As we age, the protein inside lens accumulates and becomes a cloudy area called cataract affecting our vision. Besides age, diabetes, sun rays, hypertension, eye injuries, overweighing and genetic reasons also lead to cataract. Cataract cannot be ignored because it causes loss of eyesight and difficulty in facing bright lights. This makes cataract surgery important. Also, it is wiser to go for cataract surgery at the earliest to avoid furthermore complications to the eye. These complications cause problems to daily life and lifestyle affecting work, family life and driving.
· Carry all medical examinations as suggested by the eye doctor
· Certain medicines will be stopped by the doctor, please follow
· Use eye drops to reduce chances of infections
· Be relaxed and keep cool
· Fasting may be suggested by the doctor, follow accordingly
· Discuss different types of lenses with eye doctor to know which one suits best
· You will be discharged normally on the same day after the cataract removal surgery
· Certain checkups should be done to assess the condition of your eye and its interiors
· Lens clarity should be checkedc
· Be in touch with the eye specialist during surgery recovery time for precautions and post-surgery complications
· Some itching and discomfort will go off after some days
· Wear an eye patch or shield to protect your eye for some days, check with eye doctor
· Take more vitamin C foods that are good for the eye
· The cuts will heal without any stitches
· Cataract surgery improves vision
· The fear of blindness will go
· Colours will look brighter due to new lenses
Cataracts come back: No, they are not growths
Cataract surgery is dangerous: Cataract surgery is safest and simplest
Cataract surgery takes long period to recover: Patients will recover immediately after the cataract surgery